Orthodontics is the process of correcting the maxillofacial irregularties that occur from the misalignment of the teeth or sketal abnormalities. Using fixed or removal orthodontic appliances such as wire braces or clear aligners, mechanical forces pull or push to align teeth into position at intervals.
Types of Orthodontic Treatments
There are a variety of reasons and conditions when and why you may need orthdontic treatment or braces. Orthodontic braces focuses on resolving any irregular relationships between the jaws and teeth. Orthodontic treatment aims to resolve:
Misalignment of teeth and helps straighten teeth
Help create symmetry of smile. If there are missing teeth, orthodontics may be used to close gaps or open gaps according for teeth replacement
Help solve the problem of chewing food more efficiently. Aligned teeth makes it easier for you to bite, chew and speak
A beautiful smile adds to self-esteem, self-confidenceOverlapping teeth caused by poor teeth alignment can lead to higher tendency for oral cavities, gum diseases and jaw pain
Aligned teeth improves overall facial support and look.
A beautiful smile adds to self-esteem, self-confidence
Orthodontics for children
Early orthodontic detection and treatment is beneficial. Concerns can beocme more serious over time if left untreated. If a developing problem is intercepted early, growth of facial and jaw bones can be guided whilst still a child is still developing. For more severe cases, a second course of orthodontic treatment may be recommeneded after all permanent teeth have erupted.
Orthdontic concerns that may be treated in children may include:
- Crossbites of front or back teeth
- Over-crowded teeth
- Excessively spaced teeth
- Extra or missing teeth
- Bite does not meet or is abnormal such as open bite, teeth protrusion or deep bite
- Sucking of thumb, pacifer that affects teeth or jaw growth
Regardless of your age, the same physiological process moves teeth through bone. The main difference for adults is that bone tissue are normally denser than children, so your braces treatment may be longer.
Adults cases may also be more complicated due to fillings, missing teeth, misshapen or worn teeth, or other dental disease that your orthodontist may need to consider during planning of your treatment.
Orthodontics usually start in patients aged 10 – 11 years when most or all permanent teeth has erupted. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends all children get a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7. Parents can take their children to see an orthodontist who can identify a developing problem and monitor your child’s teeth as well as jaw growth and development.
You may like to check with your orthdontist if you notice child with possible concerns :
- early or late loss of baby teeth
- difficulty in chewing or biting
- mouth breathing
- jaws that shift or make sounds
- speech difficulties
- biting the cheek or the roof of the mouth
- facial imbalance
- grinding or clenching of the teeth
- A conventional fixed orthodontic appliance
- Consists of metal brackets, titanium archwires and used in conjunction with o-ring elastic bands (colored rubber bands) to generate force in pulling or pushing teeth in position
- Provides good treatment results at an affordable price
- Fixed orthodontic appliance similar to metal braces
- Use clear orr ceramic brackets, titanium archwire and o-ring (colored or clear rubber) to make orthodontic braces less visible.
- Good treatment results and suitable if you do not want orthodontic braces to be obvious
- A fixed orthodontic treatment appliance
- Does not use o-ring elastic bands. Speed braces has a special ledged bracket that holds titanium archwire in place.
- Provides good effect to control the force used to move teeth enabling less time on orthodontics visits and improved comfort.
- removable appliance that uses clear plastic trays
- Invisalign is a USA patented product that uses digital intraoral scans and computer simulation for treatment planning making a fully digitalized orthodontic treatment
- The invisalign clear aligners are produces in series to gradually move the teeth into place
- Comfortable and removable, invisalign is easy to clean and maintain
Orthodontist are dental specialists in diagnose, prevent, intercept and treat dental and facial irregularities. There are normally several steps before a general dentist can become an orthodontist. After completing dental school, graduates are general dentists. While there are some instruction regarding orthodontics in dental school, it is normally minimal.
Orthodontists continue their 2 to 3 years education in completing an orthodontic residency program that receives intensive instruction to on proper, safe tooth movement (orthodontics) and the guidance of dental, jaw and facial development (dentofacial orthopedics).
At our chiang mai dental clinic, all our braces cases arre done by certified orthodontic dental specialists. For invisalign, our case are not done by invisalign general dentists but by invisalign orthodontists.
Before orthodontic treatment is started, your oral health is first checked. If there are any cavities, dental fillings is done. Teeth cleaning, scaling, fluoride treatment and sealant coating may be recommended to prevent tooth decay during orthodontic treatment.
You should visit your dentist every months for braces adjustment and/or monitotring of orthodontic progress.
After completing your orthodontic treatment, retainer should be worn to hold teeth position in place as specified by your orthodontist.
Retainers are used to main teeth position in place after removing braces. It is be fixed or removable and made from fixed wires or clear aligners.
Teeth takes time to adjust to their new position. Typically, after braces are removed, retainer should be worn at all times or as recommended by your orthodontist. After a certain period of time when soft tissue adjusts to the new tooth position, may your orthodontist reduce the length of time to wear retainer. Without regular wearing of retainer, teeth may possibly move back to its original position.
Retainer will need to be cleaned using a regular toothbrush daily, gently brushing it with toothpaste or cleaned with the use effervescent tablets.